[UPDATE 07/03/2014: Mark Filer provided a new link to a converter. Procedure updated.]
[UPDATE 24/06/2014: Manually-created MMR workouts cannot be converted; there’s no time data. Thanks to Amanda for working that out. Use http://www.strava.com/upload/manual to recreate instead.]
[UPDATE 26/06/2014: Mike Palumbo, the author of the current converter, commented on the issues some of you are having.]
I’ve converted to Strava. The app and website are so much nicer than MapMyRide. Not perfect, but quite nice.
Naturally, I want to upload my rides from MapMyRide to Strava so that I can analyse my rides with better tools and get a good comparison against many riders. I can even compare against myself easily and graphically. The Strava upload instructions are at https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20950143-Uploading-to-Strava-Website
However, the GPX file failed when uploading to Strava, with the error message “Error processing activities”. The solution is on Strava Customer Support here. To quote Mat from the Strava Support Team,
Data exported as GPX files from MapMyFitness sites does not contain workout data, which includes the time data for your activity. Since Strava requires time data for Segments, segment matching and other analyses, data exported from MapMyFitness is not compatible directly with Strava.
If your activity on MapMyFitness sites does include workout/time data, and you would like to export that data, you can try this third-party workaround, a tool that is available on the web (but is not affiliated with Strava or MapMyFitness):
To convert and upload your MapMyRide workout, follow these simple steps:
- Go to http://www.mikepalumbo.com/MMRConverter/ (Thanks to Mike Palumbo for the new converter and Mark Filer for the new link!)
- Enter the workout ID of the ride you want to convert and click <SUBMIT>.
- The converted workout saves as a GPX file.
- On Strava http://www.strava.com/upload/select upload the GPX file.
What could possibly go wrong?
A surprising number of things. Firstly, the original conversion site went offline without warning, but Mike Palumbo provided an alternative.
- Only recorded workouts can be converted. Manually-created workouts do not have data to convert. Workaround: On Strava, http://www.strava.com/upload/manual and enter the details manually.
- Your browser might add an extension to the .GPX file such as .XML. Workaround: Look at the filename in full and remove any stray extensions before uploading to Strava.
- If the converter fails to convert, it could be an error as the upload is occurring. To quote Mike Palumbo, “99% of the time, the issues are caused by MMR losing your time data on upload, resulting in a “NO_TIME_SERIES” error on their side. Without that data, sadly, there’s nothing I can do to export your ride or run. Sorry about that!” Workaround: Try again?
- Mt Stromlo – Lost and Found (templeblot.wordpress.com)
- The Bonner Widowmaker and creating segments in Strava (templeblot.wordpress.com)
- Sunday rides and Strava v. MapMyRide (templeblot.wordpress.com)