Here’s some of the features of the N700 Nozomi (super-express) I took from Tokyo station to Shin-Kobe:
- Train departed on time. Made me realise that my watch was wrong.
- Desperately had to charge iPhones. Had 3 power outlets nearby. One spare then.
- 50cm of leg room.
- Ate matsutake mushroom (like on Iron Chef) bento. Could have had a beer or whiskey highball if I was so moved.
- Car had two multipurpose rooms (sick room, baby change/feeding), a toilet and 2 vending machines.
- So clean I could lick the walls.
If a mere $100 billion gets anything like that to travel from Melbourne to Brisbane, it would be well-spent.